Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Whole New World

This title is appropriate for all sorts of reasons.
1 - The obvious one of me graduating, moving three states away and getting my first job.
2 - I'm making a new little home, even cooking for myself. I promise pictures of the apartment soon to come.
3 - That was the sermon title of the sermon I listened to this morning.

The Church of the Resurrection is a huge United Methodist Church with a couple different locations around southern and western KC. While I got up in plenty of time to go to church in person, time has this funny trick of disappearing and I didn't want to show up late, so I "tuned-in" online. I was really impressed with the live-stream and even more impressed with the sermon itself.

Rev. Adam Hamilton, pulled out three main points from the movie Aladdin and showed how the gospel can be seen through them.

1 - The first point he talked about was how God sees us for the "diamond in the roughs" that we are. Obviously Aladdin went from a "street-rat" to a prince, inside and out. God chose the most unlikely people throughout the Bible to carry out his works. Moses, Samuel's youngest son, the woman at the well and even the rag-tag team of disciples that Jesus chose are just a few of the examples.

2- The second point was living your life in a balance of piety and outward signs of living for Christ. BE YOURSELF. Be true to who you are and more importantly who God has made you to be. Aladdin was posing as a pompous prince, while Jasmine fell in love with the real Aladdin, not "Prince Al." He expanded and talked about how we should not do what we do as a Christian to impress anyone, but to impact others. So make an impact people!

3 - Lastly he asked us how we would spend our third wish. Aladdin stayed true to a promise he made to the Genie and set him free while he thought he was giving up his chance to have his "happily ever after." What a sacrifice! Hm? Sound familiar? Enough said for point number three.

So, needless to say, I totally dug this guy and I'm looking forward to visiting in person next week as the Disney preaching series continues. Here is the link to the sermon online, I noticed it wasn't up yet, but hopefully it will be soon. Aladdin sermon!

I'd also like to thank Joyce Hooker from Knightstown, Indiana for her submission to "The Taste of Home Cookbook." I used her recipe for Broccoli Chicken Roll-Ups for inspiration and made my own little twist on probable the closet to gourmet meal I have ever made!

No comments:

Post a Comment